Wednesday, May 28, 2008

urban hunting:)


It would be a crime against myself to go to NY and not to do some shopping. Not that I'm an advocate for consumerism, but I'd be lying is I say I don't like shopping. I see it as a type of hunting. I get really focused, I use my math skills, I go through the rolodex of outfits and objects I already own (in my head), I examine, smell, touch and evaluate. It's a very involved act. I call it - chasing the rainbow of perfection on a budget. Yes, I want it all - quality, function, simplicity, beauty, fun and hopefully it is inexpensive as well. The entire rainbow:) I spent an afternoon in SOHO.... hunting. Very few things were purchased, but I'm happy with all of them. I got coffee cup Orla Kiely wallet, adorable japanese plates from Pearl River, NY wooden play-set from MUJI and a some fun toys for the girls. Muji was the one store that I really looked forward to visiting. Translated literally as "brand-less" it's my idea of clean minimal and functional. It was a little more expensive than what I think mass-produced simple good design should be, and they didn't carry watches (their best stuff), so I was a tad disappointed. H&M was also disappointing. Their tribute to Marimekko was obviously designed for really slender and tall women. Darn:( and the quality was questionable. But enough with the downside. Overall, I had fun! My legs were buzzing, adrenaline was rushing through the veins, and even though I didn't spent too much - I got my fix and that's all that matters when the hunt is over:)

7 comments:

ellencrimitrent said...

Hii Helen,

Sorry I missed you at Surtex, everytime I came by Lilla's booth you were not there and I just missed you at Carolyn Gavin's booth too!! Ah well, seems like you had a good time.

Carolyn Gavin said...

just luved pearl river mart, + sooo did lily!
i think we all went to the same stores... from the looks of things!

Eva said...

That's what makes a good hunting...you never get what you expect to...;)
But good hunting and excellent taste
LG Eva

ChatRabbit said...

OMG! How do you crank out so much work and also blog up such great NYC posts? I still have my Surtex, etc. pix on my camera! I dropped by the LR booth- you weren't there, but it looked great!

bowie style said...

pearl river was one of my faves too, love the orla kiely purse.

Modern Craft said...

You did a great job getting to all these places. I only had time for one stop (went to the Hable Construction tag sale) but I could go to MUJI every day.

Alyssa Thomas said...

Yea! I went to Muji while I was there too for the stationery/surtex show. Love that store. I bought a bunch of notebooks and a little fold up bag there.